TRAVELING DURING PREGNANCY
Should you travel during pregnancy?
As long as there are no identified complications or concerns with your pregnancy, it is generally safe to travel at all times during your pregnancy. The ideal time to travel during pregnancy is the second trimester. In most cases, you are past the morning sickness of the first trimester and several weeks from the third stage of pregnancy when you are more easily fatigued.
Before the journey for sure have a consultation with your doctor about the possibility of traveling and the ways of how to protect yourself and the baby.
Whether you are going by car, bus, or train, it is generally safe to travel while you are pregnant; however, there are some things to consider that could make your trip safer and more comfortable.
Traveling by car, bus or train
- It is essential to buckle-up every time you ride in a car. Make sure that you use both the lap and shoulder belts for the best protection of you and your baby.
- Keep the air bags turned on.
- Try to limit the amount of time you are seating. Keep travel time around five to six hours.
- Use rest stops to take short walks to keep the blood circulating.
Traveling by air
- Most airlines allow pregnant women to travel through their eighth month. Traveling during the ninth month is usually allowed if there is permission from your doctor.
- Because of potential turbulence that could shake the plane, make sure you are holding on to the seat backs while navigating the plane.
- The International Air Travel Association recommend that expecting mothers in an uncomplicated pregnancy avoid travel from the 37th week of pregnancy through birth. Avoiding travel from 32 weeks through birth is recommended for women who have complicated pregnancies with risk factors.
For maximum comfort during journey:
- Dress comfortably in loose cotton clothing and wear comfortable shoes.
- Take your favorite pillow
- Plan for plenty of rest stops
- Carry snack foods with you
- Make sure to carry your prenatal records
- Wear your seatbelt and take other safety measures
- Enjoy the trip